Monday 26 May 2014

Barry M Gelly Hi Shine Lips // Review


First of all, sorry for the lack of posts in May. I've been quite busy this month with finishing university and starting my new job! However now that I'm off for four months, I have plenty of time for blogging!
Anyway, if you saw my most recent haul, then you may remember I picked up one of these Barry M Gelly Hi Shine Lips from Boots. They've been out for a few months now and I'm sure you've probably seen some other reviews here and there but I thought after using this product quite a bit over the last few weeks, I would be able to give a fair and honest review to you. I only picked up one as I don't like purchasing more than one of a product I'm not 100% sure I'll like and in this case I chose Capella, which is a bright pink shade with a hint of purple.




Packaging
Although I do like the simple packaging of this lip crayon, it is definitely not my favourite. My main reason for this is because unlike similar products such as the Revlon and Clinique lip crayons, these don't twist up. I'm not quite sure if these can be sharpened, but I reckon if that it possible it could get quite messy due to how soft the product itself is. If these can't be sharpened, then you actually get very minimal product compared to many other options, especially as these are much thinner than all of the alternatives. The fact that the product is a little smaller than other lip crayons however makes it much easier to be precise with application, which is great!!
One thing I also don't quite like is that there is no information on the packaging, which meant I had no idea as to what shade I had and had to scour the internet to find out which shade I'd picked up. But on the plus side this does help to make the product look a little sleeker!
 
Price
These are priced at £5, cheaper than most other drugstore lip crayons, but because these might not be able to be sharpened and they're slightly smaller, the cheaper price would only be fair. In this case I purchased mine in a Boots 3-for-2 deal that they seem to be having quite frequently, so definitely take advantage of these deals in Boots (and Superdrug).
 
Colour Range
The colour range is something that I'm not entirely impressed with. There are only 5 shades to choose from, but I decided to pick what I believed to be the most natural shade of the bunch as I needed more natural day-to-day lip colours to wear, however all of the colours are very, very out there. I personally think they need to bring out more neutral colours, as although I love some bright colours, I know that they may not appeal to everyone.
 
Finish
As you'd guess from the name, these lip crayons give a very shiny finish, which almost makes this products look like a gloss (or a lip lacquer). I quite like the finish, but if your someone who prefers matte lips, this is definitely not the product for you!
These lip crayons are also really pigmented, probably more so than my beloved Revlon balms and the colour pay-off is also fantastic - one layer is enough! They're also relatively moisturising on the lips as well.
 
Longevity
I'm glad that Barry M don't state that their products lasting so many hours, because one thing that isn't amazing about this product is it's longevity. It definitely needs reapplying every 2-3 hours and once I've eaten or had a drink it's practically disappeared from my lips.
 
Overall Rating: 3/5
I do really like this lip crayon, however when comparing it to other similar products on the shelves, I'd much rather purchase them over this. Now I'm not saying that I'll never purchase these ever again, as if there's a good deal on, I may end up getting one or two more, but because with the likes of the Revlon lip crayons, there's a much wider colour range, much more product and greater longevity for a couple of extra pounds! However, these products are really moisturising, have great colour pay-off and they're fairly priced!
I would recommend these for anyone who loves bright and glossy lips, but for anyone who prefers that natural look, stay away from these!!
 
Have you tried these lip crayons before? What do you think of them?

If you haven't seen my most recent haul, you can check it out here!
 
I'm also thinking about starting a YouTube this Summer but am not entirely sure whether to, so I'd love to know if that's something you'd be interested in watching??
 
Lots of Love
Lizzie xx
Share:

2 comments

  1. I love lip crayons, love the color, sorry it didn't blow you away, but looks great!
    :)

    xx, H
    http://www.dolledupdaily.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're probably one of my favourite lip products ever! I just wish this product twisted up like most lip crayons and then I'd like it a lot more...it's going to get very messy with a sharpener for sure! I might get some if there's any offers on soon though!
      Thank you so much for reading!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete

© Lizzie Gines | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig