Monday 5 May 2014

Review // Maybelline's Better Skin Foundation

 
So looking at this photo you may be wondering why I have a tester instead of a normal bottle of foundation. I didn't steal it from the store just in case you were wondering; I have this because recently Maybelline were giving away free samples of their new foundation online. So because I'd been wanting to try this for a while, I took this as a chance to test it out and see if I should actually buy the full size. And I'm so glad I did because I hate it!!



 
I got this is the shade Light Beige which is the lightest shade they offer. When I first saw it I was surprised at how good of a match the shade was to my skin tone, but for this reason I definitely would not recommend it to my pale friends out there. So the next day I dotted it over my face...and I couldn't have been more disappointed.
Now it's not the worst foundation I've ever tried but it just didn't seem to do anything. After applying one layer and seeing no difference at all, I decided to apply a second layer...with no difference at all. The product itself states to "reduce the appearance of the visible effects of stress including bumps, dullness and redness" but with all my blemishes still shining through, I can't quite say it does the job, especially as I'm someone who prefers a higher coverage foundation. Also along with this, I've heard it's supposed to improve the condition of your skin, but because I've been using a variety of other skincare products I can't quite say if it does or doesn't. 
Other than the fact that it doesn't seem to cover anything, I also think that it's quite a dry foundation. For someone who already has very dry skin this was just not a great combination. When applying, I tend to dot foundation around my face and then blend it in, but in this case it was already drying out where I'd initially applied it, making it extremely hard to blend. After eventually managing to blend in it, the overall finish was very matte...so matte that it was clinging to many of my dry patches, not a good look.
 
Okay, so I know I've said nothing good about this foundation yet, but one thing I will say about it is I LOVE the packaging. The foundation typically comes in a nice glass bottle which conveniently has a pump as well. I initially really wanted to buy this foundation simply because of this, since I am a sucker for packaging. However, I'm glad that I was able to try this beforehand or that would be £9 wasted. This is a clear example that we shouldn't just buy products because of the packaging, something I'm sure all of us are guilty of...
 
So although I'm very appreciative of Maybelline giving away these free samples, overall it's pretty much clear that I am not a fan. This might be because I prefer much higher coverage when it comes to foundations, but with this said it also didn't agree with my skin type. I'm not entirely sure who this foundation would be suited towards, as after trying it I thought it would fair better for people with oilier skin, however I have seen some reviews recently from people with oily skin pretty much saying that it's not for them.
Honestly, I would not recommend this foundation to a single person. If your wanting to try a new foundation I'd stay away from this one, as there are many cheaper alternatives such as Rimmel who offer better foundations in my opinion.
 
If you'd like to give it a go check it out here.
 
Have you tried this foundation? What did you think?
 
Lots of Love
Lizzie xx
Share:

8 comments

  1. It's really refreshing to read a review of something that someone doesn't like! Since I've been blogging I haven't found a review of anything I hated yet but when I do I will be posting about it for sure. Kudos to you!

    Jaq @ www.lazydaysbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it because I think it's important to be as honest as possible! I usually don't find many products I absolutely hate (and hope you don't) but if you do make sure to tell me! Will definitely be reading. Thank you!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  2. I love this review :) there are so many positive reviews out there so this how at and negative review was quite refreshing. I'm tempted at cute, good packaging but definitely won't be tempted and buy this. Luckily you only had a sample

    splasheswithfabulosity.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's important to be as honest as possible - it just didn't agree with me, but yes, I'm extremely lucky I didn't actually buy the proper thing!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  3. great review!! good thing you didnt have to pay full price for this :)

    www.simplymee89.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know right, so happy about that since I wanted to buy it in the first place! Glad I didn't!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  4. Love the honesty! I heard many bad reviews on this product so it's definitely not on my wishlist haha


    http://creepersandcupcakes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wouldn't want to be dishonest just because that's what certain people would like to hear! It's just no where near as good as everyone thought it would be - glad it's not on your wishlist!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete

© Lizzie Gines | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig