Thursday 5 January 2017

Birchbox Review | My First Box


I've always been intrigued by the idea of beauty subscription boxes. You know, you pay a specified amount each month to have a box delivered to your door, filled with a selection of products. And whilst I've been yearning for one for the longest time, I've never taken the plunge and signed up for one. I contemplate far too much as to whether I will actually like the contents in the box and use each and every one of them, so I've been quite unsure if they'll actually be worth the money.

With that said, lets rewind back a few weeks ago. I was scrolling through Facebook when I saw an ad for Birchbox (darn ads...you got me again). I noticed that each box they were offering for December (which is unfortunately unavailable) came with a full size Ciate eyeliner priced at £15, and when the box itself costs £10 (plus £2.95 postage) it seemed like an absolute steal. I'm always one for trying new products and don't particularly like spending tons on higher-end ones that I may be unsure about. 

So after having a little look around on their website, other Birchbox users Instagram posts etc. I noticed that many people were receiving quite a few makeup products; another reason that I'm unsure about buying a subscription beauty box is the fact that I could received far too many skin, bath or hair products which for the most part will simply be pushed to the back of my drawers. But the great thing about Birchbox is that they do (try to) specify the products that you receive in relation to your beauty profile. For example, you can specify your skin type, skin concerns, hair type, hair colour and they'll try to send the products that appear most suited to you; I've even heard of some people opting out of receiving certain products!

However, I managed to find a £5 off coupon on their site and placed an order for one box at a total cost of £7.95 (that includes shipping)! And I'm so glad I did, because I received so many awesome products in my first Birchbox!

What Did I Receive In My Birchbox?
First things first, lets start off with the item that I knew 100% I'd be receiving, the Ciate eyeliner. I'm in no way an eyeliner whizz; I can't master winged liner to save my life, but I would like to try a few more liners. Liquid liners are certainly one of my favourites for lining my top lash line, with this particular one reminding me very much of my beloved Soap & Glory Cateye liner...lets hope it's just as good, if not better! 

I was also pleasantly surprised to see my box filled with makeup products. I was expecting three maximum, but was happy to find four out of five being makeup products; or should I say five out of six. Whether this was intentional or not I'm unsure, but Birchbox actually ended up giving me two Bobbi Brown mascaras! I'm not one to complain though, particularly when I've never tried a Bobbi Brown product before and have been lusting after them for the longest time! As of now I am currently waiting for my other mascaras to dry up before even considering opening this one, but I was nice enough to give the extra mascara to my mum who seems to be enjoying it a lot!

Another product which I was very happy to see sitting in my box was the Benefit Benetint, and I'm probably a bad blogger for saying this, but I've actually tried very few Benefit products...I mean barely any! Everyone who received this box would be getting at least one benefit product, and after looking at the selection available, the Benetint was the one I initially had my eyes on. It's safe to say that I was pretty surprised to see the very one that I wanted in my box! It's quite a tiny sample, however I can imagine that a very minimal amount is needed and this little bottle will actually end up lasting me a long time. We'll see!

I also received a Leighton Denny nail polish in the shade Just Perfect, a bright mid-toned pink, perfect for Spring and Summer. I don't know if it's just me, but I'd actually never even heard of Leighton Denny until I'd opened my box. Regardless, I'm very excited to try a completely new brand...and although it's quite simple, I'm obsessed with the packaging (and colour)!

The final item in my Birchbox was an Amie Deep Poor Exfoliating Polish. Although I wouldn't like to receive them constantly, I was still very happy to see one skincare product in my box, and as someone who has been impressed by Amie products in the past, I was pleased to received this! As I have pretty dry skin, this particular product maybe won't be used to it's full potential, however I most certainly am susceptible to getting blackheads on my nose. Strangely enough though, my nose is also the dryest part of my face and so I hope that this will not continue to dry it out further. We'll never know until we give it a go!

Although I am very impressed with the products that I received in the December box, I did end up cancelling my monthly subscription before the 1st of January rolled around (something you must do even if you just sign up for one month - they will charge for the next month until you cancel)! I need to have a good think about whether this would be something I would like to invest in each month, especially as the 12 month subscription would be my go-to option simply for the fact that you get two boxes free a year! 

Do you receive any beauty box subscriptions? Which one would you recommend?

Lots of Love
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lizzie Gines | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig