Friday 20 February 2015

The Glam Guide / First Impressions & Review


With Fleur De Force being one of the most successful beauty and fashion bloggers/YouTuber's, it seemed inevitable that someday she would come out with her own book. Well now it has finally happened. I'm sure you all keep up to date with Fleur on a regular basis and have been anticipating the release of her new book, so today I thought I would share with you my first impressions and thoughts on The Glam Guide.




I do have to mention that when I first heard that Fleur was writing her own fashion and beauty (among many other things) book, I wasn't 100% sure as to whether I would actually purchase it. I simply thought that everything included within this book is something that Fleur could simply just make a video and talk about on her YouTube channel (or even her blog), and to a degree feel like I am paying for something that I could simply watch on YouTube for free, which I am...but it still didn't stop me from buying it.
After hearing so much positivity surrounding this book I decided to have a little look in WHSmith for it during some downtime at uni. I honestly saw it and instantly fell in love. All the images I've seen online really don't do it justice, but once I picked it up I knew I had to have it. It just felt right. I managed to grab this for just half price at £7.49, but I don't think I would've bought it at full price if I'm completely honest...£14.99 is a lot for a book in my opinion, especially a paperback. You can also buy it for a cheaper price on the Kindle, however I do feel as though if you are going to purchase this book, it is one of those that you really need in hard copy, as the details and simply the feel of this book in your hands just make it feel a lot more luxurious.
Fleur's book is the only book from any YouTuber which I've actually bought, simply because it's the only one that I could see reading (maybe with the exception of Tanya's). You can truly see how much effort she has put into this book, especially if you've been watching her vlogs during the process of writing the book.
So first of all, I'm sure that I'm not the only one whose absolutely obsessed with the design, images and illustrations in this book. The colour scheme is perfect, with the pastel colours really screaming out Spring (which I'm too excited for). The illustrations are beautifully drawn, but don't draw my attention away from the text at the same time.
As for the content, I haven't read all of The Glam Guide just yet - I just simply haven't had the time. However, from what I have read so far, I absolutely love it. Again, this is basically filled with information that Fleur could include on her YouTube or blog, but it's really nice to have it all in one place. If you are a beauty and fashion lover like myself, I really like that there is a section for almost every part of your life, from makeup to travel to fitness, and the hair section has definitely come in handy for someone who is very lazy in that area, a.k.a me. I'm also loving that there is a little section for YouTube and blogging. Although it's only a very brief section, I definitely found it very useful as I've only very recently started my own YouTube channel, although I do have to say that blogging really wasn't touched upon in my opinion.
This book would also most certainly be perfect for any makeup beginners or anyone whose recently gained an interest in fashion, as it really has all the basics you would need to know. Although I felt as though I knew most of it beforehand, it has definitely been of help in finding new products, as well as little things such as knowing which shades really go well with my skin tone and eye colour.
Overall in my opinion, this book is absolute perfection. Although it may not be of as much use to those of you who already have a lot of knowledge around beauty and fashion, there are a lot of great tips that can really help, especially the ones which Fleur concludes at the end of each section. Also if you don't mind a slightly larger book, this is also going to be a perfect book to take travelling with you. I am 100% going to be taking this book on the plane with me when I head over to the States this year, as it will give me something interesting to do to fill up the time. I would definitely recommend checking out this book whether you are a beauty and fashion expert or a beginner - there's something for everyone!
Make sure to check it out now, whilst is still half price in WHSmith and Amazon!
Have you picked up The Glam Guide yet?
What do you think?
Lots of Love

Share:

18 comments

  1. Definitely want to give this a read - although what is it about all these youtubers/bloggers bringing out books these days? haha

    I have a new outfit post on my blog, would love to know your thoughts:

    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, although I can totally understand what you're saying, they're not authors afterall! Although I have nothing against everyone else, I really love that Fleur put a lot more effort into her own book :)
      I'm heading over now :)

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  2. This was a great reading and I definitely need this book in my life! xx

    http://alemint.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) You should definitely check it out!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  3. I can't believe I didn't know this book even existed until stumbling across your blogpost- you've definitely convinced me that I need to read it though! X

    www.itslittlelaurenslooks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha how did you not even know?! You really should, such a great buy :)

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  4. I haven't picked this up and I don't actually watch Fleur so I'm not totally convinced! I might have a look instore and see what I think! :)

    Sarah / Sarah Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not for everyone, especially if you don't watch her video...but I'd definitely have a little look and decide then :)

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  5. Thank you for reviewing this! I have been back and forth about buying this book for ages because like you I felt like it would all be on her Youtube channel or her blog. Price wise I am still undecided but your review did sway me towards getting it if it's on sale.

    Xoxo

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree! I'd definitely buy it half price, if it's gone back to full price I'd probably give it a miss personally!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  6. To be honest this is the only one of the YouTuber book releases I'd contemplate reading as seems to fit in well with what Fleur does on her channel xx

    Magpie Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I thought in all honesty! This is the first YouTuber's book I've bought because the others didn't fit with my interests or anything really related to their channel, except for maybe Tanya's?!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  7. i'm not sure if this is something i would buy but it does seem to be more well put together than some that have been coming out lately!

    xx danielle // shades of danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely been put together very nicely, you can really see the hard work that she's put into it! But I can completely understand that it's not for everyone :)

      Lizzie x

      Delete
  8. I love the design of the cover! To be honest, I've never heard of this youtuber I wonder how I've managed to miss her. You've got me curious now!

    christycee.blogspot.ca 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a lovely cover...can't stop staring at it haha! How have you not heard of Fleur, you need to check out her channel ASAP aha :)

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  9. I'm yet to read The Glam Guide but if it's anything like Tanya Burr's book then I'm sure it will be a page turner. I mean, don't get me wrong... they're not groundbreaking novelists, but it's good to hear from girls in the same position as us and the "journey" they've been on. Great post hun! :)

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to read Tanya's so I can't really compare (but you've made me curious about her book now aha)! It's definitely a lovely read and I can totally agree with you on that, it's so lovely to hear from them, girls who are roughly our ages, going through many similar situations :)

      Lizzie xx

      Delete

© Lizzie Gines | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig