Monday 17 August 2015

Fashion Fades, Style is Eternal

Just a little over a month ago, the Bowes Museum finally welcomed guests into their new Yves Saint Laurent: Style is Eternal exhibition in collaboration with the Fondation Pierre Bergé. The show (which is running until the 25th of October) displays a extensive array of the French fashion designer's life and work, also revealing the impact that his vision of womenswear had on fashion as a whole. If you'd like to read more about the exhibition then you can do so here!
 
So why am I telling you all of this? Well in celebration of the opening of this exhibition, the lovely people over at Farfetch decided to contact myself and a selection of other bloggers in regards to a competition that they are currently holding. Although I will admit that the majority of the products that are sold on their site are just a little out of my price range, I do find myself  scrolling through pages and pages of the site, just in admiration for the clothes. So when Farfetch contacted me, I jumped at the chance to enter!
 
1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 // 7
 
The competition is based around the quote "fashion fades, style is eternal" once said by Yves Saint Laurent. When I thought about it, I realised that this quote is something that I completely agree with; trends come and go, but your style lasts forever. Style allows self expression, it's something that you're in control of, whereas fashions change instantaneously, with new trends constantly appearing of the covers of magazines, only to be changed within the next month.
 
All pieces within this set must be from Saint Laurent and the particular piece of clothing in which it has been based around is the 'iconic' Smoking Jacket, a classic black blazer style jacket that can be carried throughout any season. Although I wanted to make sure that I incorporated my own personal style into this look, I also wanted to create a timeless look that could be passed down for years and years to come.
 
When I think of a classic look, I think monochrome. Black and white will not only emit a timeless look, but are also super easy to style. The black and white stripy jumper was an easy choice for me. First of all, not only do stripes always remind me of classic French fashion, but I'm a fan of them, and always have been. I then also decided to add these leather trousers into the set. Skinny, fitted trousers are an essential for me and the idea of adding leather to the outfit allows you to play with different materials and textures. For shoes I honestly feel as though you can never go wrong with a plain black pair of heels - they're such a classic piece that will get you through any season and will go with pretty much every outfit!
 
As for accessories, I first picked out this wide brim hat and this particular style of hat can easily be carried from season to season in my opinion. Then I decided to spice up the outfit by adding little pops of colour. I think red is such a timeless colour so chose to add this gorgeous red 'Sac de Jour' tote which brings some more contrast to the colours within the set. And to finish the look off, I know it's not a fashion piece but you really can't go wrong with a classic red lip.
 
What are your thoughts on "fashion fades, style is eternal"? What pieces would you put in a classic set that could easily be carried through all seasons?
 
Lots of Love
 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lizzie Gines | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig