Monday 10 November 2014

7 Drugstore Products I Regret Buying

 
When it comes to buying beauty products, I am most certainly one of those people who will scour the Internet in search of reviews to see if I should actually purchase that product. Although this generally works to my benefit, there are still those times where some products that others rave about, I end up absolutely hating. I will however mention that most of these products listed here were bought on my initiative...possibly showing that I should not trust my own opinion!

 
 
1. Seventeen Phwoarr Paint Concealer
Going back on what I just said, this is one of those products that I purchased after reading so many good reviews. I wanted a new under eye concealer that wouldn't break the bank (those unemployed days eh) and this one seemed to come out top with most reviews. After using this for a little while, I realised that although the colour match and coverage of this concealer were pretty good for such a cheap concealer, it just didn't really work for my skin type. I personally have very dry skin (especially at this time of year), so this thick creamy concealer just really looked a little too cakey on me and I have since realised I need something that is much more of a liquid consistency.
I have however posted a more in depth review of this product if you fancy taking a peak here
 
2. Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation
I am in love with Rimmel's Match Perfection foundation, however this foundation did not work for me in the slightest. First of all, as I am quite pale and as this is the lightest shade available, you would expect a pretty decent colour match, but this is waaay too orange...you know, when you sort of look like a pumpkin?! Also, it seems to cling to all of my dry patches on my face...definitely NOT a good look!
I wrote a post a little while back comparing this concealer to Rimmel's Match Perfection, where you'll be able to see just how dark it is in comparison. Why not have a gander there?
 
3. Nivea Daily Essentials Tinted Moisturising Day Cream
I initially bought this product because I wanted something quite light to put on during my holiday a few years back and because of my track record with Nivea, thought this would be suitable. The biggest problem with this is the fact that it comes in one shade, natural. But we all know that one shade suits all, generally doesn't! Again, I look like a pumpkin...
I would say that this is a decent product if you have tanned skin, but if you're on either end of the spectrum, then stay away!
 
4. Max Factor Lipfinity
So I didn't actually buy this product, I received it in one of those boxes you get when you spend over a certain amount...you know what I meant, right?? The product itself if pretty good, but I just feel it's entirely unnecessary. Basically, you apply the gloss which then dries after a minute and then you apply the clear gloss stick over the top to give it a shine. Surely this just defeats the point of buying a lip gloss and makes the whole process more complicated? Plus it costs £10.99! Also, once the clear gloss has disappeared from my lips, they feel extremely dry and flaky...not exactly what I look for in a product. I would personally recommend that you save you money with this product and just buy a normal lip gloss.
 
5. Revlon Just Bitten Lipstain + Balm
I am usually a sucker for all Revlon lip products, but this one did not float my boat. And I went through a faze about two years ago where I loved lip stains...this product changed my mind!
I do absolutely love this shade (Twilight), especially for this time of year, but it never applies evenly over my lips, no matter how many times I try 'colouring' them in. Basically, it looks like a 5-year-old has attacked my lips with a felt tip pen. Not flattering. Plus these products are in no way moisturising, but at least this one comes with a balm...
 
6. Collection Illuminating Touch Concealer
I LOVE my Collection Lasting Perfection concealer, as I'm sure many of you do, and this was one of those days when they had run out of my shade and I desperately needed a new concealer. So as I love Lasting Perfection, I thought I'd probably end up liking this one too. Boy, was I wrong! Calling this a concealer would be like calling a carrot a parsnip...it's just not right. And when I say it doesn't work, I mean it probably makes my blemishes and under-eye circles worse than they did before. Saying this though, I do have a friend who actually really likes this concealer. So I would say if you have pretty decent skin then this would be an alright concealer, but if like myself you suffer with a lot of blemishes, then stick to Collection's Lasting Perfection!
 
7. Collection Work The Colour Eyeshadow Pencil
For a while, I'd really been wanting to try some eyeshadow pencils, and after finding this one in store and swatching it, I decided that I really liked the colour and needed to buy it. However, I've grown to really dislike it. Yes, it is a really nice colour, but I can't explain to you how much pressure you need to apply this product onto your eyelids and as a result, you end up pressing harshly into your eyeball. Then once you've struggled to apply it, comes the new problem of blending it in. This product does not want to budge once I've applied it, meaning that my eyelids basically just look like a mess. Personally, I would stick with eyeshadow pencils like the NYX Jumbo Pencils!
 
What are some of the products you've bought recently that you regret purchasing?
Have you tried any of these products before?
 
Lots of Love
 
Share:

8 comments

  1. Fab post, I had the same problem with lipfinity too :) x

    The Belle Narrative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one who had this problem...definitely not worth the money :(

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  2. Interesting read! Thanks for leaving your link on Twitter!

    www.beekle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for having a read! Appreciate it!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  3. I love this post. Its great to see people saying what they don't like rather than liking and this really opened my eyes to a couple of products that I would have given a try otherwise. Considering with are both pretty pale with a dry skin type, its nice to read! :)

    Sarah / Sarah Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I think it's always best to be honest, wouldn't want to be recommending a product to people that I didn't personally like, especially if we have very similar skin types!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  4. Wow ive read some good reviews about some of these things too. love your honesty :)

    bonitarochelle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always best to be honest, but I'm sure these things probably differ from person to person, they just didn't work for me.
      Thank you!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete

© Lizzie Gines | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig