Thursday 21 December 2017

The Five Best Things About Christmas


Christmas is an odd time of year, when you really think about it the month of December is quite unlike any other. It's a time when everyone comes together, a time of festive cheer, but also a time for the odd scrooge here or there - baa humbug! And whilst I'd usually be lusting after the warm summer weather, without a doubt Christmas has always been my favourite time of year for a variety of reasons.

I've also previously written about my favourite Christmas music; whilst I haven't included it within this list, there's no doubt that music doesn't top it. If you'd like to discover what music I love to listen to during this festive season, you can here!

Family
I've always been such a family-oriented person and so Christmas for me is a very special time of year. It's a time when all the family really makes an effort to come together. I'm quite fortunate in the sense that I have a relatively small family, so all in all there's not that many people that I need to go round and see; I only have two cousins after all! However after losing my Grandpa this year, I've realised even more just how important family is to me and how I need to cherish every moment with them, particularly my Grandparents - I'm sure we'll be raising a glass to Grandpa on Boxing Day (his birthday)!

Movies
Who doesn't love Christmas movies? The minute December rolls around I'm switching on the TV to watch my all-time favourite Christmas films, helping to put me in that ever festive mood. Favourites of mine include Love Actually, Elf and taking the top spot, The Holiday. I also love putting on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Wizard of Oz, as whilst they're not Christmassy, we've always watched them this time of year, therefore I've built up massive association with them and the festive period.

Games
Whether a board game or quiz, I'm a big lover of games and around Christmas they certainly come out in full swing with our family. With everyone having a little more time off work, we all come together to play an array of games during the Christmas season. Our family favourites include World Serious of Yahtzee and Boggle, as well as a selection of quizzes from pub quiz books. My Mum has also bought a Bingo set this year and purchased a selection of prizes so that my Grandma can really get involved as well!


Decorations
I've always said that one of my favourite days of the year is the day we decorate our house, or more specifically our tree, and that's something that I've stuck to ever since. If I want to truly get into the festive mood then I need to blast that Christmas music and begin putting up my beloved Christmas tree. And then there's nothing better than doing a little Christmas shopping and grabbing some new pieces to decorate the house with. Whilst I still live at home, over the last year or two I've started purchasing my own decorations too that I'll have when I eventually move out - and these will be things I can see myself keeping for years and years and years.

Food
Last but not least, let's talk about food. I have to admit, growing up I wasn't a massive fan of Christmas dinner, but as I've gotten older it's become one of my favourite things - I'm not one to say no to pigs in blankets, stuffing and sausage meat (basically all the unhealthy stuff on my place). Plus, combine that with the fact that you can eat as much chocolate as you'd like! But with that said, nothing says Christmas more to me than the shelled nuts - one of my favourite things this time of year!

What would be your absolute favourite thing about Christmas?

Lots of Love
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lizzie Gines | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig