Monday 31 March 2014

Rimmel vs Rimmel

 
I'm a big lover of foundations and I have to say that Rimmel make some great ones. I haven't yet tried the ever so famous Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation yet, but I have tried the Match Perfection and Lasting Finish foundations. I've been using both of these foundations for well over a year now so I thought it would be interesting to compare them and show you which one I actually prefer!


 
 
Price
For 30ml you can expect to pay £6.99 for Match Perfection and £7.99 for Lasting Finish. An affordable price for most people, with Match Perfection coming out slightly cheaper.
Winner: Match Perfection

Packaging
I LOVE foundations that come in a glass bottle - it just makes it look and feel so much more expensive than it actually is. I also love the fact that these come with pumps as I can't deal with foundations like Revlon's ColorStay where in needs to be tipped out - I just feel like a lot of foundation is wasted with those. The packaging of both of these is identical apart from the differing colours and the slight difference in the pumps (although my Lasting Finish is a little older and I believe they have the same pumps as Match Perfection now).
Winner: Both

Shade Range
There are currently 10 shades on offer for the Match Perfection foundation, whilst there are slightly fewer for Lasting Finish, 7 to be exact. The fact that Matching Perfection has a large shade range (for a drugstore foundation) and the fact that it is designed to match your skin tone (hence the name Match Perfection) means that it's likely you'll find a shade that will be suitable for you, whereas you may struggle a little more with Lasting Finish.
In both of these foundations I have the shade 100 Ivory. This is the second lightest shade in Match Perfection and the lightest for Lasting Finish. Although these are claimed to be the same shade, the Lasting Finish is slightly darker and is just a little too dark for my skin tone. As this is the lightest shade they offer in this foundation (and I wouldn't consider myself to be the palest person ever) I would not recommend this foundation to all you pale girls out there! Match Perfection however is perfect for my skin tone.
Winner: Match Perfection

Blendability
The consistency of these foundations is very different. Match Perfection is quite a runny foundation whereas Lasting Finish is quite thick and creamy. Usually I will squirt a little on the back of my hand and dab the foundation around my face in little dots; afterwards blending it in with a foundation brush. I find that the Match Perfection works out perfectly this way and blends in easily, however the Lasting Finish tends to dry quite quickly once on my face, leaving little patches and making it hard to blend out, so instead I leave it on my hand and dab my brush in that blob to apply my foundation. This may however just be a problem for me because my skin is on the drier side and the Lasting Finish is a very thick formula.
Winner: Match Perfection

Coverage
I've read many posts and seen many videos stating that the Match Perfection is a very sheer foundation. I personally feel that one squirt (the amount I usually use) will give you a medium coverage, however this can either be built upon or you can use a smaller amount to give you a little less coverage. The Lasting Finish foundation gives a much higher coverage than the Match Perfection (due to it being quite a thick foundation). Obviously it depends what you want when looking for a foundation but personally I like a higher coverage.
Winner: Lasting Finish

Finish
These foundations give very different finishes as Match Perfection gives a nice dewy finish and Lasting Perfection gives an almost matte finish. As I have drier skin, I personally prefer the Match Perfection in this case just because it gives me a little bit of a glow from my usually dull skin whereas the Lasting Perfection tends to mattify further and sometimes clings to very dry patches I have. But some of my friends with oily skin love the finish of this foundation so I would definitely recommend this if you have oilier skin.
Winner: Match Perfection 

Longevity
I think the names here will tell you which I think has the best lasting power...obviously it's the lasting perfection!! Although they claim it to last for 25 hours (big statement), I don't know if I could quite agree with that...mainly because I don't tend to wear foundation for that long, but in all honesty I think it would probably last about 14-16 hours max. Although the Match Perfection doesn't last as long, I don't think the longevity is terrible with it. It still lasts a good 10 hours or so, and to be honest, most days I don't need to wear makeup much longer than that.
Winner: Lasting Finish
 
Who's the winner??
Overall I think it's pretty obvious that I prefer the Match Perfection foundation as I feel that the finish and appearance of the foundation is a more important factor than the longevity and coverage - it's also cheaper, haha! The Lasting Finish foundation just seems to dry my skin out further, but I would recommend the Lasting Finish over Match Perfection if your skin is on the oilier side.
I use the Match Perfection quite frequently as I think it's the perfect everyday foundation, however I refuse to wear it when going out at night as it contains SPF. Tip Try to avoid foundations that contain SPF if you're planning to take pictures at night time as the flash will make your face look lighter than it is - it's happened to me before...not a good look!!
Anyway I love the Match Perfection so much that I'm actually on my second bottle, however I don't ever see myself ever repurchasing the Lasting Finish...I've been trying to make it work but it's just not the foundation for me!
 
Have you tried either of these foundations? What did you think of them?
Do you want to see more posts comparing two similar products from the same brand?
 
Lots of Love
Lizzie xx
Share:

14 comments

  1. I used to use the Lasting Finish foundation. I used it for about a year and then realised it looked awful on me due to the lack of colour range and decided to change my foundation haha! I did think it smelled really nice though if that counts as a plus point!

    beckyisobel.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! And I did exactly the same with the Lasting Finish, it made me look so orange looking back at it now! But I only used it for a few months before picking up the Match Perfection!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  2. i think rimmel do some great lip products but ive never tried any of their foundations before, they are so reasonably priced though. I'd love it if you'd comment back http://amyelizabethfashion.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/a-week-of-instagram-8.html xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their lip products are fab, can't get enough of them! You should definitely check out their foundations as well though!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  3. I've only tried Rimmel's foundations once or twice because they just don;t do a shade light enough for my vampire skin! Great post cause I'm always stuck when chosing between two foundations from the same brand!
    Salted Roses // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the Match Perfection might be okay if you haven't tried that before, but I would definitely stay away from Lasting Perfection! It's too dark for me in the lightest shade and I wouldn't consider myself to be the palest person!
      Thank you :)

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  4. I love the match perfection foundation, it's so pale! I love it!

    Katydesu.blogspot.co.uk

    Katy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's so great. It's always a problem for me finding one pale enough, but this one is great...and mine's not even in the lightest shade haha!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  5. Great post hun :) I love both of these foundations, but have to agree with you on which is my favorite. I just feel it blends a lot better. lovely blog too :) xx

    faceitamy.blogspot,co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, totally blends 100x better!

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  6. I definitely prefer Match Perfection, my go to foundation at the moment!!! I've nominated you for the inspiring blogger award :) xxxx

    http://keepupwithkatieallen.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great, think it'll be perfect for Summer as well since it's so lightweight!
      Thank you for the nomination! I've already done the award but will definitely have a look and maybe do it soon! :)

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  7. No problem, love your blog!
    Thank you for the follow, means a lot to me :D

    Lizzie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I have the Match Perfection one and have been wondering for a while whether to branch out and try the Lasting Finish, but after reading this post I'm glad I didn't try it! I'm super pale so I don't think they would have a shade light enough for me anyway :( I'm so glad you put up this post!

    whatlaurendidtoday.blogspot.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete

© Lizzie Gines | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig