Monday 22 December 2014

Why I Don't Like Covergirl's Outlast Stay Fabulous Foundation / The 12 Days of Blogmas #10

 
As someone who would, after this past year consider themselves as a makeup junkie, when I hear fantastic reviews about a certain product, I jump at the chance to buy it and I was certainly very excited to get my hands on this! In this case I'd heard a lot of great things about the Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous Foundation or if you're from the UK, I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same as the Max Factor Facefinity Foundation. I purchased this product in the September when on holiday in Florida, and now feel that I've had substantial time to gain a good enough view of this foundation to give an honest opinion.

Left: No Makeup, Centre: One Layer, Right: Two Layers
 
Let me start this off by saying that this isn't a bad foundation, it just didn't work for me. This foundation is supposed to have the "lasting power of primer, coverage of a concealer, and blendability of a foundation in one" which to a extent, I can agree with. But if a product is going to state these things, it really needs to deliver. 
 
For 30ml of product, the UK version retails for £11.99, however as I waited to get in whilst in the US, I managed to buy the Covergirl version for $8, roughly £5...complete bargain! The packaging for both versions is completely the same, a glass bottle with a pump (which twists when you want to use it); my personal favourite! The shade range for this product was quite extensive, however I do believe that there is a wider variety of shades available within the US. As they don't have testers in the US, I did find it very difficult to choose the correct shade and this shade (805) at the time was certainly too light for my skin tone. However, now that it's winter, I find that this shade matches my skin tone better than some of my favourite foundations.
 
After trailing this product a fair few times, I have found that the longevity of this foundation is reasonable. I've worn it for around 10 hours at a time and most of the product does stay in place. As with most foundations that I use, it does tend to rub off around the sides of my nose and mouth, which I do almost expect anyway. Although as it does state to have the longevity of a primer, I can't quite say that it matches up to this!
 
As for the coverage, I feel as though it successfully covers any smaller blemishes I have, however any larger ones are generally still peering through. I will say that on the day I took these pictures, in terms of my skin, I was having a very good skin day, however you should be able to see that after one layer you can still see my under eye circles and the relatively small blemish on my nose. I personally feel that they do not live up to their promise here, as I have many more foundations that offer a better coverage after one layer. Once two layers have been applied, I do find that it does cover pretty much all imperfections; my under eye circle still appearing through ever so slightly. But this just feels and looks way too cakey on me, and I'm extremely aware of all the product on my face.
 
The blendability of this product, however is very good. I was afraid that because this product has quite a thick consistency that it would be extremely difficult to actually blend in, but it was super easy!
 
The biggest problem for me though was due to the fact that I have quite dry skin, especially on my nose. Because this foundation is also stated to be shine free, this means that it leaves a very matte finish on the skin. Personally, due to the nature of my skin, I prefer a much more dewy finish when it comes to foundations, meaning that this made my skin look too dull and even drier. Along with this, the thick consistency made my skin look so cakey.
 
All in all, I don't really get along with this product simply because it did make my skin look extremely cakey and dry...not necessarily the look I want to go for! As it is shine free, I would however recommend this foundation to those who have oilier skin or who prefer a much more matte look, as this is more likely to deliver a better finish for oilier skin types. Also because this product is priced at the top in terms of drugstore foundations, if you do have the right skin type and don't mind spending a little extra money, I would certainly give this a go. If not, brands like Rimmel offer some incredible foundations for almost half the price - definitely the foundations I'll be sticking to right now!
 
Have you tried this foundation?
What did you think?
 
Lots of Love
 
P.S. Remember to enter my first ever giveaway HERE!
 

Share:

8 comments

  1. I have oily skin and this foundation didn't work for me either. I wasn't a fan of the finish and the color range. Such a bummer bc I heard good things about it too!

    xx Alyson
    The Beauty Vanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be great for your skin type, but I was obviously wrong. Everyone was raving about this foundation so totally agree with you there, especially with the finish of the product :(

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  2. I have oily skin, however going by what you have said, I don't think it would look great on my skin either. Foundations with thicker formulas tend to look cakey on my skin as well - I like to steer clear of those!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I obviously don't know much about oilier skin types haha! It's strange as every review I'd read prior to buying this product was so positive, but it just wasn't that good! I'd steer clear of it too if I was you :)

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  3. love this post and how honest it is! great review

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you! Always like to be as honest as I can be...wouldn't want anyone buying a bad product based off a good review I gave <3

      Lizzie xx

      Delete
  4. I absolutely agree! I love the coverage and how it does wear a bit longer than my other foundations, but it just makes my skin look dry and cakey. For that reason, I haven't been wearing it much although I really want to love it!

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I couldn't agree more with you! I really want to love this product, and I'm still sometimes trying to convince myself that I love it...but it's just way too cakey :/ Glad I'm not the only one who thought this :)

      Lizzie xx

      Delete

© Lizzie Gines | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig